Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Berry Picking

The kids and I found a wonderful berry farm to pick at this year! We got up at 6 am (normal wake up is 8) and drove an hour to get to the berry farm by 8 am, but it was worth it!

It was practically the end of strawberry season so we only picked just over a pound of very tiny ones. Xander wasn't particularly helpful with those because he ate most of what he picked!

But isn't he just so cute?!

The real score were the raspberries! The bushes were taller than me, well maintained and in very long, straight rows. The rows were about 6 feet apart so there was plenty of space to roam, but nowhere foe the kids to run off to.

The farm uses "natural growing methods" which basically means no chemicals but not certified as organic (its pricey to do).

Gabriella was an amazing helper! I was pleadantly surprised at how well she did picking and staying focussed consudering she is only 4. I took both kids by myself and was not expecting to get a whole lot accomplished but was pleasantly surprised.  We picked 11 pounds in 50 minutes! 

Gabriella hard at work.

It always frustrates me when people complain about their kids, don't interact with them, don't do things because they have them, etc. Our kids are miracles and I LOVE having them with us!  I feel like they enrich and add to our lives, not take away from it. (Don't get me wrong, I love a good date night with the hubs!) At any rate, after picking I told Gabriella how proud I was of her and that she was now my official berry picking buddy. You should have seen the look on her face!

Be watching for lots of raspberry recipes coming!!



No comments:

Post a Comment