Monday, October 14, 2013

Moving

Moving is hard! For the last 4 days I have been completely exhausted and emotional. It seems like a complete waste of time to spend hours and hours packing boxes only to spend hours and hours unpacking them. I would love to live in an RV!

Saturday we got to our new house in Tacoma. It was a filthy mess! We were totally shocked to find it that way since we had rented through a rental agency and signed 13 pages of rental agreements that included a very detailed description of the move out cleanung requirements. I had to scrub every drawer and cupboard in the kitchen before finally deciding to just put contact paper in them all. There were dried food splatters on the walls in every single room. The kitchen walls are so bad that I can't even get them clean. The bathtub is so rusty that we are only able to take showers in it. The washer barely works and the dryer doesn't work at all.

Matt started work today and really likes his new branch. He has his own office and hit it off great with the branch employees. He even got to come home and eat lunch with us before heading back so that was a fun treat!

It's Monday night and I have unpacked 20 boxes today. The house has a lot of closets and storage spaces that our old one didn't have so that is nice. The backyard is nice and completely fenced. The side yard seems to get quite a bit of sun so that is where I am planning my garden for next summer.

It's been a long day. I'm still trying to decide if I am missing my old home or just overly tired. It's hard not knowing anyone here (the one set of friends we have here had to move 40 miles away last week after discovering black mold in the floor joists of their house) and having so much cleaning and unpacking to do. Xander ended up with croup (we made it 8 weeks between bouts this time, that's a new record!) and Gabriella is so emotional that it makes me want to cry!

We both still really feel in our spirits that God led us here and this is where we are supposed to be. Now we just have to convince our emotions and minds that! We are expecting to hear back from the rental agency tomorrow about the state of the house (today was a holiday) and the kids and I are going to take a walk and explore the neighborhood.

Thank you so much for your prayers that all four of us would begin to feel like this is our new home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, sorry you found the home in such a mess. I share your feelings about moving. I like to sell homes, but I hate moving. The house looks nice from the outside and I am sure that you will make it homey on the inside. One of the nicest homes I ever rented was a house that had not been lived in for years and was very dirty. But once I got it cleaned up it was wonderful. I'll continue to pray for all of you. Glad Matt likes his new job. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I would be so irritated at finding the house a mess. Good luck to you. And I feel I should mention, since you are sad to not have a church to go to, anywhere you go there's always an LDS church house. It's the same no matter where you are in the world. ;o)

    ReplyDelete