Sunday, September 8, 2013

Worms, Parasites and Great Grampa

Friday night my mom and I took the kiddos to visit my grampa at his memory care facility. He was sort of in a crabby mood but perked up after we went outside. 

Xander found a worm on the ground and like a typical little boy he decided to pick it up. Gabriella immediately started screaming and running away yelling, "I dont want it on me!" It was hilarious!!

Grampa has a form of dementia that makes him think he has bugs on him. He went on for quite a long time about the parasite he has living in his thumb and how he feeds it, except that it doesn't like to eat worms. The story was so bizarre that it was comical, but at the same time it was really sad. It was so real to him, it's his reality. It is hard to watch people we love age. It's also hard to be around them when they say mean things or carry on about things that we think are nonsense. But next time someone around you is behaving that way, take a step back from your own offense or judgement and put yourself in their shoes. Can you imagine living and thinking ghat you always had bugs of some sort crawling all over you? That would be horrific for me!!

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox.  Just some reflection on our visit.

The kids had a blast playing with his walkerand running around outside in the yard.  Plus Grampa always shares cookies with them so that was fun too.

I sure love my grampa and are glad my kids get to enjoy his company too!

No comments:

Post a Comment