Sunday, May 4, 2014

Healthy Homemade Fruit Snacks ~ No sweetener added!

After my first attempt a few days ago, I have been hounded by people wanting my recipe for these. They needed a little tweaking and I finally got some made this afternoon that I am really happy with.

Here is the recipe to make your very own fruit snacks!

Version #1
1/3 cup fruit juice concentrate (I used frozen orange juice)
2/3 cup water
3 Tablespoons Unflavored Grass-Fed Gelatin

In a small saucepan, mix the juice concentrate and water together and stir gently until blended over low heat. Slowly shake in the gelatin and use a whisk to blend so that the gelatin does not get clumpy. Whisk gently until just warm, do not let it get to a simmer or boil.

Pour carefully into waiting molds. I use silicone molds from the Dollar Tree but if you don't have any handy you can pour them into a shallow glass dish and cut them into bites. Let them set in the molds for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator. They should easily pop out and be ready to enjoy!

Chillin in my refrigerator

Version #2
1 cup premade juice (I used Cranberry from a jar I bought at the store)
3 Tablespoons grass-fed gelatin


In a small saucepan heat the juice over low heat. Slowly shake in the gelatin and use a whisk to blend so that the gelatin does not get clumpy. Whisk gently until just warm, do not let it get to a simmer or boil.

Pour carefully into molds or glass dish. Let them set for about 20 minutes in the refrigerator before popping out and enjoying.



These are not super sweet (which is how we like things at our house). If you would like them to be sweeter then you can add a Tablespoon of raw honey when you are warming the juice at the first step.

What I love most about these, is how healthy they are. One batch made me 20 fruit snacks. There are 18 grams of protein in three Tablespoons of the gelatin so there is almost one gram of protein per fruit snack! What store brand could you possibly get that from?!

Last week I made a giant gummy bear while I was making these. It was a fun treat for mommy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment