Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Homemade All Natural 4 ingredient Deodorant

When I first wanted to start eliminating toxins and chemicals from our daily living, one of the first things I researched was deodorant. Last year, after my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, I started using Crystal brand roll on. It worked pretty good and I was happy with it. But then I wanted to try making my own.

Here is the recipe that I use. I have personally been using this for 5 months and absolutely love it! I am a heavy sweater. I sweat a lot and it smells. Just being honest here. Some people sweat and they never smell bad (aka my hubby!) but others of us, yes that includes me, smell awful when they sweat. Before switching to natural deodorants I was using the only brand that didn't make my sensitive skin break out and I was reapplying the antiperspirant multiple times a day.  With my homemade version I reapply in the afternoons sometimes if I am going to be going somewhere and want to "freshen up", but that is not any different than what I was already doing with my chemical laden store bought kind.

My husband was a champ at smell-testing this formula for me! And I have had no complaints about smell from people I've been around so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do!


Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil
2 Tablespoons Organic Shea Butter
3 Tablespoons Baking Soda
2 Tablespoons Arrowroot powder
Essential Oil of your choice

Step 1:
Mix the baking soda and arrowroot powders together

Step 2:
Melt the shea butter and coconut oil together.
Add in any essential oils that you want. I used orange and it is great!

Step 3:
Pour the melted mixture into the bowl with the powders. Stir gently and carefully until blended and there are no lumps.
My daughter enjoyed helping me with this part.

Step 4:
Carefully pour the stirred mixture into the container you are storing it in.
I used a deodorant container that I got online. You can also use an old container from some you finished off already. Pouring it into silicone molds and holding them in your hand to apply also works.

Step 5:
Let them sit in your refrigerator until they have set. I store mine in the refrigerator all the time. This isn't necessary, but the coconut oil will turn back into a liquid at 78 degrees. So I just store mine in the door of the refrigerator so I don't have to worry about it melting somewhere in a drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment