Monday, May 5, 2014

Two Bean Chili

My kids love beans and rice. When Gabriella was two she made up a song called "Bean and Rice" and sang it with enthusiasm every time we ate them. Now that I can't have rice I have to come up with some other ways to eat beans. So tonight I made some two bean chili. It was a big hit and I am already looking forward to eating the leftovers for dinner tomorrow night!

Ingredients:
2 cups dry pinto beans
2 cups dry black beans
1 can (16 ounce) diced organic tomatoes
1 can (16 ounces) organic corn, drained
1 pound lean grass-fed organic dried beef
12 cups water
2 cups chicken broth (you can make and pressure can your own by following my recipe and instructions here)
1 Tablespoon each of:
     Chili powder
     Italian seasoning
     Sea Salt
     Dried Minced Onion
     Minced Garlic

Directions:
Pour all ingredients except meat into a large soup pot. Heat on medium until it begins to boil. Once it starts to boil, cover with a lid and turn down to low heat.  While everything is heating up, brown the meat in a frying pan. As soon as it is browned you can drain it and pour it into the chili. Simmer on low for 7 hours. You can also prep all of this in your crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours.

I served ours with a side of organic sorghum cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment