Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Homemade Organic Chicken Stock

I cooked up a whole chicken last night for dinner and it seemed like a waste to just throw away all the bones. So, after a quick phone call to mom to double check my plans, I threw the bones into my crockpot with some water and various vegetables I had lying around.

I used an onion, some parsley, whole garlic and carrots.
*Note: using odds and ends of vegetables that you have leftover from other things works great. Keeping odd parts of vegetables (or your pulp from juicing) and using those makes this practically free to make! If you store them in the freezer you can just grab them out when you are ready to make stock.

One your veggies are in, pile all the chicken bones on top.

Cover with water and a lid. Set your crockpot to low and walk away.

I let mine simmer on low for 36 hours. At 24 hours I pulled out the bones that were still intact and cut them in half (they cut very easily with a knife) then threw them back in so the marrow could come out.

Okay, 36 hours later I was ready to strain and can it.

I put an old t-shirt inside of my colander that was sitting inside a bowl.
Very carefully pour the contents of your crockpot into the strainer.

How mine looked after I lifted the colander and t-shirt out.

Now, for canning it.
Bring the stock to a boil and get your lids and rings sanitizing at the same time.


Gather all your other supplies:
Funnel, jar grabber, tongs, jar for ladling, clean jars, etc.

Fill each jar (I used pints) and leave 1 inch of head space.

I pressurized mine and cooked at 10lbs for 20 minutes (for the pints)
*Note: All Pressure Canners are different and the weight and time required is different for altitudes and canners. Be sure to check yours before you use it!

Once they are done, let the canner depressurize on its own. When it is done, carefully remove the lid and grab the jars out with your jar grabber.
Let them sit for 24 hours without disturbing to seal. If a jar doesn't seal you can freeze them or use them right away.

I yielded 8 pints of stock from bones that I was planning on throwing away anyways. I had all the veggies already so the only real cost was the lid, which is 10 cents each. 10 cents for a pint of organic, salt-free chicken stock is pretty crazy cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment