Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Natural Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner

Yesterday I made up a batch of homemade toilet bowl cleaner. It worked like a champ! Here is the recipe for those of you interested in a cheaper alternative the harsh chemical cleaners.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup Liquid Castile Soap
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup vinegar

This recipe foams up a lot when you make it, so be sure and use a bigger bowl than you would think you need.


Step 1:
Using a whisk, gently stir the 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup liquid castile soap together.
*note* I used peppermint castile soap and it gave the cleaner a nice minty scent 

Step 2:
Stir in the 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide and the 1 cup of warm water

Step 3:
Gently pour in the 1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar) and whisk gently until it stops foaming.

You can see how it decreased in size once the foaming action from the baking soda and vinegar stopped.

Step 4:
Use a funnel to pour into a squirtable bottle.
My hubby found this one at Walmart for $1 near the condiments.
Also, you can see that the mixture separates as it sits. Be sure to give it a gently shake to mix it up before you use it.

My recipe made a little more than the bottle held so I poured the extra into a glass jar for storage. 

Okay, now it was time to try it. I purposely let my toilet get gross before I used it, I wanted to make sure that it actually worked. I normally DO NOT let my toilet get like this before I clean it!

Okay, so here is the gross toilet. That is mildew/gross stuff that grew on the bowl.
I squirted just a little bit of the mixture up around the edge of the bowl underneath the rim (just like you would with any other toilet bowl cleaner). I let it sit for just a minute and then scrubbed it with my toilet scrubbing brush.

It worked like a champ!! The bowl was totally clean and no hard scrubbing was needed!

*Note: I do not know how well this will work on toilets that are already rusty or stained. The minerals in water vary so much by region. If you try this, please let me know how it works on yours.

Let's break down the cost:
1/2 cup of baking soda is $0.15
1/4 cup castile soap is $0.68 
1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide $0.03
1 cup of water is free (from your tap)
1/4 cup vinegar $0.05
      For a grand total of  $0.91! That is cheaper than buying the cheapest kind possible (at the Dollar Tree) which lets face it, doesn't really work that well anyways.

For those of you wondering where I get the liquid castile soap, I get it from vitacost online. Here is a link to get $10 off your first $30 purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment