Thursday, April 24, 2014

Paleo Chicken Pot-Pie

I have been craving a hearty meal for awhile now. So tonight I decided to try making some pot-pie. I really wanted ham but was unable to find any in our area that did not have sugar of some sort added to it. So my hubby picked up some Applegate Farms Organic Chicken sausages (sweet Italian variety) from Whole Foods on his way home.


Here is the recipe that I came up with for my paleo pot-pie.


Filling
1 pound of meat of your choice, cooked
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup peas
1 cup corn
1 cup chopped spinach
1/3 cup diced red onion
      *I used organic varieties of all  the vegetables. That is not necessary, it is your choice.

Broth/Gravy Sauce
1 cup chicken broth (I used my homemade and you can get the recipe here)
3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 + 1/8 cup almond meal
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasing
    *note: My homemade chicken broth does not have any salt in it. If you are using broth that has salt in it then you do not need to add as much salt.

Crust
2 cups Almond Flour
2 organic eggs
2 Tablespoons Organic Coconut Oil


Directions:
Wash, chop, and dice the vegetables. Stir them together in a bowl and set aside.



In a medium sized sauce pan heat 1 cup of broth and 1/4 cup of the almond milk on medium high heat. In a separate cup pour the remaining 1/2 cup of almond milk. Blend in the almond flour, pepper, salt and seasoning. Once the broth and milk start to boil, stir in the flour mixture. Stir constantly and cook for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Mixture will not thicken like a typical roux does.

Remove the sauce from heat and get a medium size bowl. Blend the 2 cups of almond flour, eggs and coconut oil together until mixed completely. I used a fork to mix them.

Place the crust between two sheets of Parchment Paper . Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it is large enough to cover the top of the container you are cooking in. (I cooked this pot pie in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.) If you are using multiple smaller dishes, form the dough to fit the tops of them. I had a little extra so I placed it in the bottom of my baking dish.



Once the dough is done, pour the hot sauce mix over your vegetables. Toss them making sure that all of the vegetables get covered in the sauce. Stir in the meat of your choice. As I mentioned earlier I wanted to have ham. But we ended up using organic chicken sausage (precooked). Chicken goes great in this as well! Spoon the sauce into your baking pan.



Pick up the dough on the parchment paper that you rolled it out on. Flip it (carefully) over the top of the vegetables. Gently press the dough to the edges of the baking dish. Using a knife, make a few slits in the top of the dough so that the air can vent from inside while it bakes. I like to make heart shapes, and every time I do then Gabriella says, "aw, how cute!"



Bake at 425 F for about 30 minutes. The crust should be slightly browned and the sauce bubbling up from the slits you made before cooking.

Serve warm and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment