Thursday, January 16, 2014

All Natural 2 Ingredient Organic Conditioner!

I've been looking for some all natural shampoo and conditioner for quite awhile. I'd bought some sulfate and silicone free stuff (ewwww, I was grossed out to find out that was actually in conditioners!) but have you priced those out recently? Yowza!

Anyways, I stumbled upon this recipe online and thought I would give it a try. Worst case scenario I could just rewash with some store bought stuff.


Ingredients:
1 cup Water (tap, distilled, etc. It really doesn't matter)
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar (I used Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar Organic Raw )

Pour 1 cup of water into an 8 ounce bottle. Add 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar. Put lid on bottle and swish gently to blend. 

That's it! Done!

After shampooing your hair, apply to wet hair, being sure to use your fingers to work it down into the roots. You don't need a ton, just enough to get all of your hair wet with it. Wait a minute or two and then rinse out with warm or hot water. 

Sounds gross, right? Who wants vinegar smelling hair?

I have been using this for 3 weeks and not once has my hair smelled like vinegar after I rinsed it out. I have pretty short, straight hair. I used it on my daughter's longer, curly hair and it still worked amazingly!

If you need a great and just as easy shampoo recipe, check my blog post here to get it. 

Now that we have a great recipe for completely natural (and amazingly easy to make) conditioner, let's see how it compares financially to commercially produced conditioners. 

A bottle of Jason brand conditioner sells for $6.99 online for a 16 ounce bottle. That breaks down to 44 cents per ounce. 

Here is how much the homemade version will cost you:
1 cup of water ~ FREE
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar ~ Bragg usually runs for around $5-$7 per bottle depending on where you buy it. If you use it for other things (as I do), then it basically is free. Let's say you don't have it at home and you have to go buy it at the store. So you spend $7 on a 16 ounce bottle of it, that makes each tablespoon cost 22 cents. 

You can think of it as costing either 22 cents for a bottle of conditioner, or like spending the same amount of money on the whole bottle as you would for one bottle of store bought conditioner and getting 32 bottles of conditioner for the price of one!!

*Note: I bought some BPA-free bottles online from http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/. They were 43 cents each for the bottles and 15 cents for the caps. You can also just use an old bottle you had from something else you emptied. When I was "testing:" the recipe to make sure that I liked it, I just used a coffee mug to make it in and poured and little in my hand from that each time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment