Friday, January 31, 2014

All Natural Disinfecting and Cleaning Spray!

I have been on the hunt for more "green" and all natural products to use around my house, especially since I have two toddlers who like to help me do everything. Today I'll show you how I made disinfecting and cleaning spray that is safe to drink (if you like the taste of vinegar), has no toxins or chemicals, and actually works!!

Here is what you need:
Orange peels
Vinegar (I useApple Cider Vinegar because then it isn't grain or corn based)
Salt (any kind)
Distilled water (or well water)
A large glass jar with lid (I used a Santa Cruz Organics lemonade bottle)

Fill a jar with orange peels. 

We don't eat that many oranges in one sitting, so we store our peels in a large 32 ounce BPA free container in the freezer. When it is full, I know I have enough to fill a jar with cleaner.

Fill the jar with orange peels and add 1 Tablespoon of salt. 

Then shake it up to get the salt to spread throughout the jar.

I had two little helpers for this part. 

Once the salt is spread about in the jar, let it sit for about 20 minutes on the counter. The salt helps pull the oil out of the peels. 

After 20 minutes, fill the jar completely with a mixture of half vinegar and half water. 
Then label it with the date and store it in a cool, dark place. 
I store mine under the kitchen sink. 

Then wait 2-3 weeks. 

After 2-3 weeks, you will need a cheesecloth and a large jar/pitcher/container. 
In this picture I have a funnel inside the jar with the cheesecloth on the top of it. 

I used two jars full of the peel, vinegar, salt, water mixture. 

Pour the liquid out of the jars, through the cheesecloth and into your waiting pitcher. 

Then funnel or pour it into a squirter bottle. 
I got this one at Walmart for $.97

Okay, time to try it out and see if it actually works. 

I didn't clean my range top for 2 days. I am a messy cook so it usually gets cleaned after every meal. This was very gross!!

I wiped off the dried stuff and then sprayed a normal amount of my cleaner spray on it. Then ..... BOOM!

It worked!!

I was super happy. I'm not a huge fan of the smell of vinegar, but man, this sure worked good. Plus with the orange essential oil in it (that is why you put the salt and peels in it first), it really helps with the cleaning power and the smell. 

I can't wait to use it on other things. Its mean, its clean and its green!

No comments:

Post a Comment