Thursday, January 9, 2014

Homemade Laundry Soap Powder ~ Borax Free!

Here is my laundry soap recipe for powdered laundry soap that is free of toxins, chemicals, parabens, nasty things, etc.

It is super easy and quick to make (took me less than 5 minutes and that includes set-up and clean-up!).

Ingredients needed:
1, 5 oz Bar of castile soap (I usedDr. Bronner's Lavender)
1/4 cup Pure Baking Soda

Step 1:
Grate the soap up as fine as you can. My Food Processor has a grating attachment so I used that. If you don't have one you can use a cheese grater. 

Step 2:
Use the blade in your food processor and add the baking soda and washing soda to the grated soap. 

Step 3:
Blend together in the food processor until it is as fine as it can possibly get

Mine was a perfect, smooth powder.

Step 4:
Pour (or funnel if you are prone to spills like me!) into an empty container. I used a quart sized mason jar because I always have lots of empty canning jars lying around.  I also like to label and date things so I used some masking tape. 

Use 1-2 Tablespoons of it per load of laundry. 1 Tablespoon works great for a regular sized load (remember, it is super concentrated because there are no chemicals or extra toxins in it). I am using 2 Tablespoons for a larger or dirtier load. 

Now, we all know that soap doesn't break down and wash as well in cold water as it does in hot. I was most all of our clothing in cold water so I had to figure out how to get the detergent to breakdown  so I didn't end up with clumps of soap on my clothes when they came out of the washer. 

Solution!


Spoon your desired amount (1 or 2 Tablespoons) into a jar or cup. 


Add very hot water (don't burn yourself!)

Then stir gently until all of the soap is dissolved (only takes a minute). Once it is all dissolved, just pour it into the washing machine like you would with any other detergent. 

Here is my first load using this recipe. My clothes are soft, smell and feel clean, and have no clumps of soap on them. 

I got my castile soap online at Vitacost. They have the best deal that I was able to find it for. They also have TONS of other organic, gluten-free, healthy, vitamins, natural options, essential oils, etc on their site. I have ordered from them numerous times and have always been very happy!
Here is my referral link where you can get $10 off your first purchase! 

When it was all said and done, the laundry soap cost me $6.05 to make and yielded 39 ounces. 1 Tablespoon is 1/2 an ounce. So using 1 Tablespoon per load you would get 78 loads (39 using 2 Tablespoons per load). That ends up being just over 7 cents per load (15 cents per 2 Tablespoon load)!  

Purex Free & Clear is 15 cents per load when bought at Walmart, and have you read the ingredients list?!  This home-made detergent is cheaper, healthier, more natural and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you made it yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment